Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflections on Poster Projects

    Alright, after an embarassing performance last week, I'm back. Sadly, due to trouble sleeping and a lack of discipline, I had to take it down to the wire again. But I'm MUCH happier with my work this week, and that's what really matters to me.
    I chose to do a movie poster and a propoganda poster. Why? Well, the first major idea I had basically just fit well into the whole "movie poster" idea, though technically, it's NOT for a movie, but a TV show. My reasons for choosing the propoganda poster amounted to my limited time. While I DID have an idea, the reason I ended up doing it is because I knew I could do it quickly with a limited palette. This has resulted in two posters that one could argue are polar opposites to each other, but DO cover the same general subject.
    Here we go:

    So here's my first poster. I specifically stole a bunch of photos and logos, roughly half from liberal sources and the other half from conservative sources. Then I took a picture of myself with my arms thrown up in a kind of "Who do I believe?" gesture. To make this poster work, I intentionally piled on a bunch of pictures to provide a sort of sensory overload that tends to catch MY attention. I presumed it would do the same for others. At the very least, the plethora of familiar faces on the poster should catch someone's eye. My reason for creating this poster is because in general, I've become quite frustrated with everything our media tells us that we're supposed to take without question. I'm even MORE aggravated by how anything that doesn't conveniently play into somebody's closed-minded view of the world can be dismissed with the possibly legitimate argument that it is the result of corrupt or biased sources. Even what's taught in our schools today is allegedly colored by a "liberalized" agenda. Some even call it brainwashing. Most of these people conveniently disregard the possibility that the same thing has happened to them, which is more than I can say for myself.
    Anyway, that's why I made this poster. I REALLY wish there WERE some sort of rational person who specifically went through the thousands of hours of stuff spewed by our media every year and separated the garbage from the facts. One could argue that that's precisely what many of those sources I list are doing, but in my opinion, virtually all of them has shown a significant political leaning, so I don't think they're reliable as unbiased sources.
    It might seem weird that I used colored text to convey the name of my show and the time it's on, but I had good reasons for it. The first is that a less colorful text would have been harder to read against the chaotic background I made. The second is that it conveyed something a little less serious, which goes well with my expression on here. The show itself is supposed to be one of seriousness mixed with comedic elements, which come from making fun of the things said by these various establishments.
   It may be a bit chaotic, but I think this poster works well.
   
    You see all those little specs surrounding the different pics in this poster? That's how down to the wire I was making this. I had to put it together in an hour. As a result of necessity, this turned into a fairly simple poster. Fortunately, that's precisely what propoganda posters are supposed to be. For me, the key to this entire thing, however, is the filter I put over it. It's called Chalk and Charcoal. Every one of these pics was colored before I filtered them with it. This ensured a limited palette. I put a gradient across the back to add to the effect, and the letters in the text each had an individual shade I chose to make sure they were readable.
    I was planning to put the blue and red colors of Obama's campaign posters across the back, but I didn't have the time to remove all the color from the pictures and make them transparent against the gradient. I had to settle for black and white. Truth be told, I actually think this worked in its favor. I had to use the magic wand tool a great deal more than my other projects. There was a ton of stuff surrounding the basic pictures of the subjects that I needed to remove. As you can see, I didn't get all of it.
    Sadly, there actually ARE people who compare Obama to Hitler. Even more aggravating: they have some legitimate points. If you search Google for propoganda, you will find many of his posters among the results. To suggest that Obama is a Hitler strikes me as extreme, but the open-minded person must always consider everything.
CLOSING COMMENTS:
    I'm satisfied--not thrilled--with what I put together here. To date, I still feel that my third project (Type) is my best. This isn't as good as I wanted it to be, but I think it's still good. I just hope this isn't our last weekly project, cause I don't feel I've completely redeemed my prior week's work. LOL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment